There are many people who can make sense of the Paleo diet from a logical point of view: Humans are genetically engineered animals to take food that is found in nature, not to have a mobile phone, to travel by train or tea with Fruit caviar.
However, as in all trend diets, there are aspects to mention, but not only detrimental:
– The basis of diet must be vegetables. Scientific studies confirm that the food pyramid based on hydrocarbon foods (rice, bread, potatoes, pasta, cereals, etc.) is wrong. Vegetables have very beneficial health effects because of their content in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and also lessen the possible negative effects of other foods when consumed together (for example, raising animal fat cholesterol).
– Favor the consumption of nuts. Its properties in terms of fiber content, minerals and quality of its fat and protein are great. Despite their energy density, thanks to this composition mean less storage as fat in the body than other foods that provide the same energy (for example, sugary foods).
– Reduce consumption of processed foods and alcohol. Needless to say, the great global impact of products such as fast food, sweets, and soft drinks. They are largely responsible for the prevalence of overweight and obesity (along with all associated diseases, such as diabetes) in Western countries.
– Fruit consumption. This diet prefers the consumption of protein foods (meat, fish, and egg) to that of fruit. Fruits (perhaps an exception like coconuts) are of daily consumption recommended in a balanced diet, with equivalent properties to the vegetables and, therefore, they must be consumed with an equal frequency than these.
– Does not contemplate the consumption of dairy products, since then no animals were raised for this purpose, the techniques for obtaining these products were not known.
– Consumption of protein foods. Although they are necessary or difficult to substitute in a healthy diet (for example, they supply high-quality proteins and iron), it is not advisable to consume them in excess. On the one hand, consuming them more than necessary triggers health problems like kidney failure or increased risk of colon cancer. In addition, its excessive production triggers environmental problems of global pollution. Its consumption as in the western countries would be impracticable throughout the world since the energy necessary to produce foods of animal origin is about 10 times greater than the one involved in producing food of animal origin.
You may also interested in: Grapes protects our eyes
– It does not contemplate the consumption of grains and any food based on it (pasta, rice, cereals …) and vegetables, which limits the consumption of minerals and vitamins that we obtain from them. In addition, it limits the consumption of carbohydrates, being able to produce in some people irritability, fatigue … Especially if we pass from carrying a “normal” food, in which the base of the energy consumed is from this type of food.
– By getting energy through the oxidation of fats, there is a state called ketogenic, which may not sit very well with certain people and be harmful. As we pointed out in the previous point, especially if you pass on to this type of food.
On this particular type of food, there are different types of opinions and studies. What is clear is that we can not go from a current diet to what they did in ancestral times overnight. The time that has come to live gives us the possibility of eating a variety of healthy foods, in addition to that the lifestyle is totally different and we must adapt our food to it. Always giving priority to fresh and unprocessed foods.